Florida, ahhhh... tropical, humid, sunny Florida.
There are so many reasons we choose to live in Florida. Our warm climate draws visitors and new residents each year! It is the perfect place for tropical plants, fauna, and at times... mosquitoes... to flourish. So here is a short list of topics to consider or explore if you plan on becoming a Florida resident or at least a resident a few months of the year.
1. The water table and elevation, especially in our coastal areas, for homes served by well water. (Ask about flood insurance too).
2. Did you know that our local beaches are monitored weekly for clean water as part of the Florida Healthy Beaches Program?
3. Got kids? There's a childhood immunization schedule and requirements for entering the Florida school system.
4. The flu. It's not just for icy, snowy, cold climates. Find out how to protect yourself.
5. I know Florida has some cute critters, but don't feed them! Rabies carriers include raccoons, foxes, bats and can also be domestic pets bitten by a rabid animal.
6. What's all the fuss about red tide? If there is a bloom, you'll want to know. It's irritating to the lungs and throat, especially if you have asthma.
7. Governor Charlie Crist's initiatives concerning health care.
8. The infamous "imported" drywall. What to look for and why.
9. Our state's first State Surgeon General, Ana M. Viamonte Ros, M.D., M.P.H., and her campaign of prevention, preparedness and personal responsibility.
10. Facts on what it takes to be GREEN: A growing number of citizens are finding ways to help take care of the environment in which we live and care so much about. See what you can do inside, outside, and in your community.
The State's Department of Health website contains a wealth of information, including links to all of these topics. Resources right here at your fingertips! You might want to bookmark this site. http://www.doh.state.fl.us/
TRC, e-PRO Realtor
*Article originally published by Kelly Reark on her Trulia.com blog.